D.C. Finds

John and I recently returned from a fantastic getaway to NYC and Dublin. However, I'm still soaking in everything and I'm not ready to post quite yet. For now, here's some D.C. finds that I have found within the last few weeks:

A few weekends past, John and I had date night at Filomena. The restaurant had been on my D.C. bucketlist before we were even D.C. residents- mostly because people have been raving about it for years (including Bono and Bill Clinton). So, I was happy to find that it lives up to the hype. The portions are large enough to share (although it was hard to secondary to their deliciousness) and are full of big Italian flavor. After the meal, we were surprised to find that the waiter brought us complimentary Sambuca and Amaretto.



Happy hour at Co Co Sala near the Metro Center metro stop. I went with John a few months ago for an after dinner treat and was super excited to go back for sips and bites with my friend Hannah Beth. I opted for the Fetish (fresh strawberries, chocolate infused vodka, strawberry foam, and chocolate dipped berry) and then went halfsies on the "A Sticky Situation" dessert (warm sticky toffee pudding cake, chocolate shavings, brown butter toffee sauce, and ginger caramel ice cream). Talk about a sugar high, but a girl has to treat herself every now and then.


A few days later, after I had calmed down from the sugar overload at Co Co Sala, I met up with my friend Wesley for a trip to Sweet Lobby on Barracks Row in SE D.C. I had strolled by numerous times and drooled at the displays of fluffy cupcakes and decorative macaroons but hadn't been until I went with Wesley. There's no seating inside. So, if you go- be prepared to eat standing up or take it on the run. I had the lavender violet and pecan praline. Magnificent!


A week or so later John and I took an early morning stroll to Columbia Heights to go to Le Caprice bakery for breakfast treats. We split a few of their pastries including: an almond croissant, chocolate croissant and ham and cheese croissant. They were all cooked to buttery, golden brown, flaky perfection and made me think that I had walked into Paris.


On a Saturday when John had to work, my friend Ashley and I had a laid back girls night. First, we went for manis on Barracks Row and then strolled over to Sona Creamery. We ordered a sampler cheese board filled with sheep cheese, goat cheese, homemade jams, and dried fruits. Yum!


Last but not least, here's a non-food related find- The Blackcat. John and I went last Fall for Harry Potter viewings, but we went to see Milo Greene last week for our first concert at the venue. It was dark, slightly grungy, and totally fit its history of being one of the birthplaces of 90s punk. Milo Greene was awesome and thanks to us getting there super early, by accident, we ended up on the front row!


So, while it continues to be chilly- we have managed to beat the cold with good music, good friends and some sweet eats. As I said, Ireland post coming soon!! Until then, cheers to another fabulous week in the District!


0 comments:

Post a Comment