Tricks, Treats, and Tea

One of my favorite holidays is Halloween because I consider it the kicking off point to my favorite season of the year--the magnificent holiday trifecta (+ New Year's if I'm feeling extra festive). So, what better way to celebrate Halloween than at a Pinterest worthy dinner party? Our friends, the Amundsens, did just that and were kind enough to include us for their Halloween Eve dinner party. There were themed drinks and food galore and Skye went above and beyond to make sure that the whole house was decorated from floor to ceiling. John and I decided to go as a pun by being "pigs in a blanket" which proved to be comfy and witty. Henry even got in on the fun (well, he didn't really have "fun" per say, but he looked cute) and was the most dapper penguin that ever was.






On the actual day of Halloween, John and I went on a tour of The Woodrow Wilson House. We had purchased a Groupon for it earlier in the season and decided that it would be a wonderful laid back task to do on a crisp fall day. The home is in the same fashion as when Wilson lived there as his family resided there and preserved it for years after his death. 





That evening, we let the laid back theme continue by staying in, cooking a fabulous Italian meal (complete with my first try at an antipasto plate), and watching a scary movie on Netflix. Maybe it's me getting older, but I thought that it made for a marvelous Halloween.


The next day, I had the wonderful opportunity to tour the historic Hillwood Estate Museum and Gardens in Northwest D.C. with the Daughters of the American Revolution. The elaborate home and grounds once belonged to the sole heiress of the Post Foods corporation, Marjorie Merriweather Post. At one point in time, Post was the wealthiest woman in America and it definitely showed via the exquisite and rare pieces of art and decor that are still present in her home. My favorite piece that I saw during the tour was a hair dressing chair that once belonged to Marie Antoinette! I truly felt as if I had been teleported to Europe and the English tea party that I partook in after the tour was the icing on the cake. 










I just love finding new places in the District, weather that be a home decorated with Presidential artifacts, French antiques, or Pinterest worthy Halloween decor. Cheers to good friends, good finds and to another fabulous week in the District!



0 comments:

Post a Comment