Ghost Tales and Pop-Tart Ice Cream Sandwiches

So, if any of you follow me on Instagram- you will know that John and I just got back from a fabulous road-up up through the NE US. However, John's vacation time began a week prior to the trip and some exciting date nights and D.C. adventures weren't documented on the blog. I have found that I'm usually really good about posting at least 1x/week, but D.C. has thrown me for a loop with all of it's social offerings and I have fallen behind. So, here's a pre-road trip update.

John and I ventured to SE D.C. the Friday before last for an early evening dinner at Cava Mezze. The Greek inspired restaurant nestled on Barrack's Row serves up tons of tasty small plates such as spicy lamb sliders (seasoned lamb, brioche buns, arugula, harrisa, tzatziki, marinated tomatoes, and pickled onion) and the crazy feta dip (whipped aged barrel fetta with jalapenos). The best part? Since we went so early in the evening, all of the food and drinks that we ordered were under $5 each and even though the plates are "small", they are enough to share. I only captured the drinks, even though I will admit- they were my least favorite part of the meal, but their pretty color just couldn't be passed up.


Later on, we meandered our way around the block to take in the sights which included the barrack's that the row is named after. One of the most stunning homes is the Commandant's House which lies adjacent to the Marine barracks. I will warn you, if you're going to take a peak- be prepared to be approached by some men in uniform who will ask you what you're up to. Don't worry though- the Marines are super nice, but just want to ensure that the Commandant's House isn't in any danger.


After we walked off some of those delicious small plates by following the sidewalks up and down through the historic neighborhood- we got a pick me up from Ted's Bulletin. I had been once before, but only for a milkshake (sweets addict right here) and John had never been. So, he jumped at the mention of their homemade pop-tarts. The pop-tarts are baked fresh daily and include a wide variety of flavors ranging from blueberry cheesecake to to good old fashioned strawberry. Want to know a sercret? You can order an off the menu pop-tart ice cream sandwich. Yes, please! We had read about this little secret online and were thrilled to find out that it was true. We opted for the chocolate raspberry pop-tart with vanilla ice cream sandwiched in between. It was decadent indeed and I definitely recommend sharing one with a friend unless you're just having one of those days where the only cure is an ice cream pop-tart sandwich.



After a few more blocks around the row (thanks to my insistence that we arrive early enough for the Cava Mezze specials which I don't regret at all), it was time for the evening's main event- Scary D.C. ghost tour! I found the tour on Groupon and thought it would be a great way to kick off the fall. Plus, by doing it in September, we beat the October crowds in search of a good spook for the Halloween season. The tour ended up being more historical than scary, but it was so fun and we learned a ton. Some of the stories were more believable than others (I still chuckle to myself thinking about the one centered around the "Demon Cat"...really?) but all of them were equally entertaining. Plus, what could go wrong when your tour guide speaks as if he's been in the grave for 150+ years and wears a snazzy gold suit?



The next day, we went back to the Eastern side of D.C. for the Atlas Brew Work's 1 year anniversary. Our friend Melanie knows one of the founders and told us about the event a while back. Not only was there delicious beer to be had, including my favorite-the imPEACHment, but there were food trucks galore and live music acts. It was steaming hot and there were a ton of people, but it was such a fun afternoon and a good farewell to the summer.


On Monday, John and I walked to Georgetown after I got off of work. The crisp fall air had made its first appearance and we loved soaking it all in during a long walk to and from. Aside from some errands, we did make a trip to Georgetown Cupcake. I will admit, I have been turned off from going secondary to the long lines that almost always wind outside of the establishment and up the street. I know, I know- you're thinking "Long lines? That should indicate something good, right?". Yea, yea- but long lines to me has always equalled tourist trap, at least for things in D.C. However, after John worked his last round of nights and I found myself sucked into watching all of the available episodes of D.C. Cupcakes on Netflix, I was roped in to trying it out. Plus, for the first time ever- when we went last Monday night, there was no line! We split the seasonal caramel cheesecake and a menu favorite, the coffee cookies and cream. Of course, John and I like different ones-I loved the caramel one and he the coffee, but we both agreed that it was good- but not worth standing in a huge line for.


I feel that all of my posts have centered around restaurant reviews and sweets these days, but it's only because the rest of my life is spent cooking and going to yoga. So, there you go- balance people... at least, that's what I'm calling it. It's been so fun to find D.C. gems and experience new things that the city has to offer. I'm still having so much fun here and I'm loving every minute of our D.C. adventure!



0 comments:

Post a Comment