Long Overdue

Sorry, DD followers- this post is long since due. So, I will try to wrap up what's been going on in the life of the Lyles' in the most concise way possible. Let's flashback three weeks ago...


John and I enjoyed a lovely Sunday dinner  outdoors with some friends before the fall air set in. There was plenty of good food and good conversation and the setting was just darling.

My dad came into town for a four day stay. We were delighted to share some of our D.C. favorites like the Smithsonian National Zoo, walking around Georgetown & the Georgetown waterfront, eating delicious sandwiches at SundeVich, and enjoying gelato at Dolcezza followed by a walking tour of Embassy Row. We also tried out some new things like having a late night coffee and pastry at The Wydown and learning to make some new Egyptian foods including scrumptious rice pudding.




Homemade tabouli, stuffed grape leaves, Egyptian rice and peas with tomato sauce
After my dad left and John went back to working nights, my friend Ashley came over for a mid week girls night. We made some ghoulish s'mores cookies and fall chex mix before catching ParaNorman on Netflix. It was a wonderful way to kick of the Halloween season.

Later in the week, I had another girls night with my friend Laura. After a tough workout at yoga, we rewarded ourselves with a sandwich from Capriotti's. We both ordered the Bobbie (homemade turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing and mayo), The sandwich is known around D.C. as Thanksgiving on a roll and it pretty much is with all of those toppings. My only complaint was that it wasn't served warm or toasted, but other than that it wasn't too bad and I'm glad that I checked it off of my list. 


That Saturday,  I hung out with my friend Laura again and her husband Clint at their SEC watch party. They are both Auburn grads (which usually qualifies people as those whom I would least like to spend a Fall Saturday with), but they were kind enough to have both games playing and didn't even complain about my loud cheering. Roll tide to that!


After watching the Tide bring in a victory, I celebrated by meeting up with my friend Melanie for a late night viewing of the film Tracks at the Angelika Pop Up movie theater . The theater is right behind Union Market and is small (but in a good way), quaint, cozy and full of gourmet snacks. I will most definitely be going back again soon!



That Sunday John took a quick nap when he got in from work and powered through the rest of the day like a trooper in order to get his sleep schedule back on track. We spent the afternoon in Columbia Heights eating lunch at Mi Cuba Cafe and browsing Dave Egger's Museum of Unnatural History (think creative space meets quirky museum). 




Later in the week, John had two days during the week off rather than the weekend. So, we enjoyed a mid week date to upper NW D.C. to see what those parts had to offer. We started the evening by browsing some of the upscale shops of Tenleytown, took a stroll through the neighborhoods by American University and ended up having an evening tea at Politics and Prose bookstore near Van Ness. Later on in the week, we hosted our dear friends- The Browns' over for dinner. White Chicken Chili, a most excellent fall salad (prepared by Laura) and oreo pumpkin cheeseckake- what more could you ask for?




Friday night we went to Georgetown for a most delicious meal at Clyde's (I've named it a D.C. favorite since) and dessert at Pie Sisters (hello chocolate bourbon pecan pie!). Then we rounded out the evening by going to The Sheppard Speakeasy in Dupont. *Sorry there aren't any pictures from the Speakeasy. To keep with the low key, hush-hush theme, there are no phones allowed. I'm not complaining though because it was nice to unplug and sip a refreshing drink while just enjoying one another's company rather than a buzzing phone. 

Stuffed Acorn Squash (braised  Swiss chard, wild rice, quinoa, cous cous, cranberries and spiced apple cider);  herb roasted half chicken (sauteed green beans, mashed potatoes and roasted chicken jus). Yum! 


A large majority of Saturday was spent watching football (RTR), but we did manage to squeeze in an hour or so to take Henry to the dog park before John went in to work. Henry loved it and we loved being able to spend time with him while enjoying the beautiful D.C. fall weather. 


Sunday evening I met up with my coworkers for an OT's Night Out on the town. We ate dinner at the newly opened CharBar (formerly Eli's) in Dupont Circle. One of my coworkers keeps Kosher. So, I was delighted to dine at a legit Kosher restaurant that's only a few blocks from my home! After our meal, a few of the girls came back to my place for wine and sweets. It was a good way to end the weekend and reminded me of just how lucky I am to have found such great friends where I work. 

Cheers to another wonderful week in the District! I promise that the next post won't be so delayed...fingers crossed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment